With Mists of Pandaria dropping in 2 weeks, it’s time for me to start getting ready. The first thing I want to do is work on my builds.
Main Build – Frost
I’m going with Frost for my main build. I am mainly doing this for leveling to 90. The Water Elemental makes leveling a lot easier for me. Plus, Fingers of Frost coupled with Ice Lance puts out some crazy damage.
Here’s the talents I’m choosing.
- Ice Floes – This tier is about mobility. I like the idea of getting off 2 Frostbolts while moving instead of one instant through Presence of Mind. Just my preference.
- Ice Barrier – I love this spell for leveling.
- Frostjaw – I’m not really sure I like this choice better than the others. I think it’s better for soloing than Ice Ward but might not be better than Ring of Frost. I’ll stick with it for now but I may change my mind.
- Greater Invisibility – My first deviation from Frost. This is the get-out-of-jail-free tier. I love having the ability to go invisible instantly and survive. It’s always fun to be the last one standing in an instance or raid after a wipe. 🙂
- Living Bomb – When 5.0.4 hit, I picked Frost Bomb for this tier. However, I haven’t had much luck with it. I think it’s because it’s countdown and cooldown are reduced by haste. It ends so quickly I might get in one Frostbolt before I have to reapply it. So I’m going to try Living Bomb instead.
- Rune of Power – This tier is harder to pick. The spells are new and I’m not going to be able to play with them until I hit 90. For now, I think I’m going to pick Rune of Power. I’m not moving around a lot when I’m leveling so it seems like it will make sense. We’ll see, though.
Secondary Build – Arcane
While I will use Frost for leveling, I am going to go with Arcane for instances and raids. I know all 3 specs are supposed to be comparable. I just find Arcane to be more fun than spamming Frostbolt in instances.
Here’s the talents I’m choosing for this build.
- Presence of Mind – For instances, I think the instant spell will be more valuable than being able to cast while moving. Of course, it will depend on the fight mechanics.
- Temporal Shield – If I’m getting hit in an instance, it means I pulled aggro. This allows me to heal up while the tank works on getting aggro back.
- Ice Ward – This can be helpful to healers. It would give them a chance to get away if something’s beating on them.
- Greater Invisibility – Picking this again here. This is mostly about familiarity. However, I may end up switching if something else seems to be better.
- Nether Tempest – I think this will be the best for boss fights, especially if there are adds. It is the only choice here that hits others on every tick instead of just when it expires.
- Invocation – I like this for instances. Rune of Power seems too dependent on staying in one place. Incanter’s Ward only seems valuable when I’m getting hit, which should be close to never as a mage.
So that’s what I’m going to do for now. We’ll see what changes I end up making once I get some time with these builds.