I set a goal at the beginning of the year to complete one game a month. I had a huge list of games to play through and never felt like I was making much progress. Now that the year is half over, I’m sitting down to see how I’m doing.
So far, I am on track to meet my goal this year. I have finished 6 games in the last 6 months. Here is the break down:
- January = Bioshock – This game is considered one of a great shooter by a lot of people. Man, they are right! I knew there was a twist and thought I knew what it was (I guessed part, but not all) but it still blew me away! I’ve never had a game affect me emotionally like this one.
- February = Deathspank – Speaking of not affecting me emotionally. 🙂 Deathspank was definitely fun for what it was. Nothing ground breaking, but I love action-RPGs. It was definitely worth playing. It’s also the only game so far where I got all the achievements.
- March = Homefront – This was my first disappointment of the year. The single player was WAY too short. I saw some people saying it was a 5-6 hour experience. I finished it in less than 4! Seeing such potential wasted disappointed me a lot.
- April = Portal 2 – This one, however, met all my expectations! I expect greatness from Valve and they delivered.
- May = Dawn of War 2 Retribution – The jury is still out on this one. I enjoyed the campaign but it wasn’t anything amazing. I need to spend some time with the multi-player and last stand modes to see what I really think.
- June = Metro 2033 – This one was a huge disappointment. I REALLY wanted to love it. However, it was WAY too frustrating in several different parts. Plus, the story fell really flat.
I have also been working my way through Super Meat Boy. I am working on the negative level in chapter 3 and will then move on to chapter 4. This one will probably put me at 13 for the year.
I have started listening to the 3 Moves Ahead podcast on Flash of Steel. It is a site and podcast dedicated to strategy games. It has inspired me to start working through some of the strategy games I have. So here is my tenative plan for the rest of the year:
- July = Supreme Commander 2 – I am a HUGE fan of Total Annihilation. It is one of my favorite games of all time. Supreme Commander is considered its spiritual successor. Supreme Commander 2 came out last year but I heard some bad things about it. People didn’t seem to like the changes they made from the original. However, I did pick it up during a Steam sale. Troy Goodfellow at Flash of Steel, however, called it his biggest surprise of the year. So I am going to dig into it this month.
- August = Age of Empires Online – This game is going to be released in the middle of August. I’m excited about this because Gas Powered Games (the studio behind Supreme Commander and the designer of Total Annihilation) has taken over the reigns. I am hoping it will be something I can play for a long time.
- Fall = Serious Sam 3 & RAGE – My schedule for the rest of the year is going to be determined by when these two are released. Steam shows Serious Sam as "Summer 2011" and RAGE as "Late 2011". I am pumped about both of these!
So that’s where I am with my gaming so far this year. I am feeling good about what I have accomplished. Hopefully I can keep up the momentum.