I wanted to take a little time to get my initial thoughts of Metro 2033 down before I get too far into it. I am almost done with chapter 2. It’s been pretty fun so far. Nothing earth shattering but definitely a solid shooter.
The Story So Far
- Metro 2033 is set in post-apocolyptic Moscow. I’m not really sure what caused the damage. The survivors are living in metro stations under the city. The air above ground is toxic. Anyone going above ground must use a gas mask.
- You play as Artyom. You are given a mission by Hunter to get to Polis if he does not make it back from wherever he went. He doesn’t so you head out.
- There are “dark ones” that destroy the minds of men, which eventually kill them.
- Artyom seems to be immune to the effects of the dark ones. There is an encounter with them on the railcar to Riga and another in the tunnels with Bourbon.
- Artyom meets Bourbon in Riga. Bourbon agrees to give Artyom his AK-47 in exchange for Artyom fighting off the dark ones.
- Bourbon seems to know everyone but not in a good way.
My Thoughts So Far
Metro 2033 has definitely been a fun game so far. I am enjoying the shooting and the story has me intrigued enough to want to continue. I definitely like that the setting is different than most other shooters out right now.
I have picked up a few achievements but nothing off the beaten path. I will go through them after I’m done with the game to see if it is worth it to me to go back and get them. Right now I am thinking probably not but we’ll see.